Saturday, January 30, 2010

Test Embankment

Joel passed his qualifying exam so now that it's over the test site is the main focus.
Thursday I had the opportunity to go hang out with Joel for a while at the farm on Tech property and see Joel's site that he's working on. He failed to give me a heads up on the "smell" ok yes I have been on a farm but honestly I wasn't prepared for the smell that hit me as soon as I opened the door!!! OH how horrible. He said it was from the cow feed that they had stashed nearby and I guess wet soil and cow feed mixed together makes a smell that makes me think of spoiled olives but worse!!
I had to do a lot of walking around to find a spot that wasn't down wind.
So here he is working on a few areas before his day ended.
















































Now the bobcat was what caught my attention. Joel has been telling me how much work he gets to do with the bobcat and how much fun it is to move dirt etc.





























YEP I got to drive the bobcat. Joel drove his truck and I was able to drive the bobcat back to the farmhouse so that we could put it back in the shed. I had a ton of fun. It's a whole lot easier to drive than I thought and it has some gittyup to it too. We had a pretty good clip to drive so I was able to get the full experience. I told Joel I think we need to get a bobcat. Hey with all this snow I could plow our cul-de-sac! ok so that didn't go over so well but you can't say I didn't try :) Maybe I'll volunteer at the local farms.

This is the farmhouse. I honestly dont know the story of it but plan to ask some of our friends who work right there on the farm. It's really pretty and on a great piece of land.


1 comment:

  1. Remind me, please, what he's getting his PhD in--how does it all relate to the farm & the Air Force? How fun that you got to drive that! Maybe you & I will go into construction together one day...okay, maybe only if we both get to drive bobcats all day long! ;-) And--I totally want to hear the story of the farmhouse. It's really big & pretty compared to most farmhouses...looks like it should be in Colonial Williamsburg. BTW, are you guys getting any of the snow that's hitting Hampton Roads this weekend????

    ReplyDelete