Tuesday, March 2, 2010

SKIING at last!

Joel & I finally had the opportunity to get out to the slopes. A free weekend at last! We decided we'd go to Winterplace in WV which was only about 1 hr 1/2 away. It was actually snowing when we got there so the weather was perfect and there was more than enough natural snow to enjoy a great day of skiing. We knew it was no Colorado but we weren't quite prepared for our day of adventure.


We started off on the blue run just to get used to skiing on fresh snow. The funny part was when we got to the end of one run I made a comment on how easy that was and Joel said " that wasn't a blue run that was their green run" the more advance. We looked at each other and just laughed. Their advanced runs were the small version of a bunny slope at Keystone.


There were a fair amount of people there and the later in the day it got the more crowded it got. It took us about 5min. or so to get down the hill and it took a good 10plus min. to get from the lift line to the top of the slopes.







Joel was able to master skiing backwards. I almost got a picture of him but he turned around right as I started to take the picture of him. Finding a spot to stop and take pictures was a little challenging since there were people falling all over the place.











This was my favorite part of the day. I had packed a lunch for us and Joel decided he'd put some bars and a sandwich in his pocket so that we could have lunch without fighting the crowd for a table or walking all the way back to the Tahoe. He always did this in Colorado and it was pretty convenient.
We had seen the moguls on the way up and he wanted to go down so I had a great idea of having him wait at the top of the hill while I went to the next slope and curved around and take pictures at the bottom.
So Joel is patiently waiting at the top of the hill while I take the next turn down a pretty nice hill. This one was my challenge of the day since it had a lot of fresh snow and hidden bumps and was fairly steep. I almost made it to the bottom but there was a really steep section and I couldn't really decide where to go down. Of course the red poles should have been a huge warning sign to me but noooo I chose to ignore them and took off in what I thought would be an easy run to the bottom so if you can imagine seeing this it gets really funny!
I headed for the spot and the next thing I know I'm making a face plant in the snow and sunk. I was in shock of what happen! I'm still head down hill and behind me and I look my right ski is still attached but my left I couldn't see my ski I pull my put out and still no ski.
Yes I decided to ski in the deepest section which is why they had the poles up. I dug around and found my ski. The snow was up to my waist which is why I couldn't ski it. My ski's just went straight down. The bad part was I couldn't get out it was so deep. Joel finally gave up on me and just stood at the bottom laughing. Of course I would do something like that but hey at least I didn't race to the bottom and dislocate my shoulder!
We got on the ski lift and were starving so Joel went to pull out his sandwich and well no sandwich. Eventually he also fell on the moguls and the sandwich fell out so we said some little kid was enjoying our sandwich while he got stuck with just our granola bars.
















































Our day ended well with no injuries but 2 very hungry people!

No comments:

Post a Comment